Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Review: Pushing the Limits

Pushing the Limits Pushing the Limits by Katie McGarry
My rating: 3 of 5 stars

You know how I see this book? It's about "distance".


"And I will make sure to keep my distance
Say "I love you" when you're not listening
How long can we keep this up, up, up?

And please don't stand so close to me
I'm having trouble breathing
I'm afraid of what you'll see right now
I give you everything I am"

(Distance by Christina Perri)

Yeah, I heard that song on the radio and said, S***! I can really see that in this book. :P Dramatic? Nah. Just emphatic? lol. Idk. Anyway, here, maybe I'll make more sense:

1. If I break will you still stay?
This book told me a lot of things about being brave and strong enough for yourself to get through life. It's hard to keep the people you love away from you knowing it's for the best and the right thing to do. In this book, Echo is a mess. She felt that she only comes second for every one. She never felt someone's first. Because of that she allowed herself to turn away from people that she really loves. As for Noah, well he also thought he's not good enough for Echo. What with all the problems that he has. He doesn't know what will happen to his future now that he has Echo and his brothers. These are heartbreaking moments actually. I really don't like it that people should distance themselves with these important people because it's "right". Well, what about how they feel? Is it right for them to be hurt and miserable? Is it the right thing even if it feels like your heart is shattering? I really don't think so. But then again, that's life. Sometimes we have to do things we don't want. Then again, it sucks!

2. Please hold me still.
This book also showed dependency and reliable people. I love it that this showed it pretty well and real. I mean I'm not sure if that's really how therapist deal with their patients but I can actually see it happening like that in real life. This book made me feel safe because it's actually saying that we don't have to shoulder everything in our life. We have people that we can depend on. People who are there to help us carry our baggage. Yes, sometimes we feel ashamed and guilty but that's the reason why they are there for us. They have their own say and choices and the good thing is they chose to stay with us.

3. I am not crazy. Can you tell?
Yeah, I didn't really felt the craziness in Echo's mind. Maybe because I know she's not really losing it. But her life is really crazy! Having someone you really love do something crazy as that to you. Yes, you will feel betrayed. Yes you will feel like maybe you'll turn out just like him or her. But the hardest part is actually facing every day with the same kind of mentality that's been making you doubt yourself.

4. Are you still there? I really hope so.
Noah, really loves his parents and his brothers. I love how this book made me feel that longing and loss. He really missed his parents. I really want to cry with him in those breaking parts. GOSH! His parents. Among his brothers he was the only one who really experienced how great it is to be with them. I really pity him because they died. I also feel a little angry with his brother because compared to them they can just easily forget. They didn't had the time Noah had with their parents. They are too young to feel those strong emotions and pain that Noah is having. Ok. That's just really sad.
Echo and her dad. Yeah. I don't want to say anything anymore. Spoiler. :))

5. Guilty or not, it's not your fault.
That is the truth anyway. I just felt like saying that.


View all my reviews
Share:

0 comments: