Monday, July 23, 2012

Review: Such a Rush

Such a Rush Such a Rush by Jennifer Echols
My rating: 5 of 5 stars

Some of the comments about Ms Jennifer Echols is that she's the Nora Roberts in the YA world. I haven't thought about that before. I was a major fan of Nora Roberts. I've been reading her books since I was in high school. I think I've read almost all of her trilogies and sagas also. Reading this, i kinda see the resemblance of their writing. It's heavy and deep with emotions. It's amazing how such simple words can bring that out in its readers. I was expecting a cute love story from this book, but what it gave me was much better. :)

"You might think I'm trash, but I have feelings too! You might think I'm a slut because of what others are saying and what you're seeing but I'm not! What you're doing is actually hurting me! Worst of all I actually have feelings for you."
-- ok. This is what I would have said if I ever come a across someone I have a crush on who is treating me like trash/ slut. This wasn't really part of the book but it's what I was feeling while reading it. Lol. I'm pretty emotional like that.

So anyway, 5 stars? A bit much? Do you think I'm bias because Echols' books are my favorites? Nah. This book really deserves 5 stars.

This book is pretty intense and made me feel like I have a deep ache in my chest.

Death.
Losing someone is hard. We all know it. Even those who haven't experienced this might assume it's hard. It's hard to let someone go especially if that person is a relative, made a great impact in your life or because you love that person. The Hall twins especially Grayson showed us that pain. It felt raw. He felt lost and well, really afraid of losing someone like that again. Sometimes because of death we tend to do some things that can help us ease the pain and for us we think it's right but to others it has a different effect. Very well played in this book.

Unfair.
It's so unfair because Leah is always judged by people. It doesn't mean if she's poor she doesn't have enough value or should be disrespected. It's unfair for her that even the person she have a crush from afar is thinking the worst of her.
I understood now. He associated me with the tragedy of his family. He would take what he thought he needed from me in order to save Alec. That’s all I was good for.
What's even unfair is that people like to use her and think that it's just okay to do that and not even thinking how she will feel about it. Sometimes the effect of this is that that person will think so little of herself that he or she will tend to believe every thing negative thrown her way.
Grayson and I were so far apart that we had nothing to do with each other. Thirty years from now, if a rumor ran around the airport that we’d had a one-night stand, we would still be so far apart that nobody would believe it.
That's like a very sad story. It makes her believe in this norm that poor and rich people are not meant to be happy together. Yeah. That's sad. It makes her pity herself and makes it even more painful to accept.

"Love isn’t something you have to deserve.”
-- I believe this. You don't have to work up so much for that person to love you. You should just be what and who you are. Then he or she will just see or come to his senses that what he sees is great. As simple as that. If he loves you that's great if not maybe he doesn't know you enough but that doesn't mean you have to be hard on yourself or be someone else.

My favorite part in this one is how sweet Leah and Grayson were after their first time together.
“Are you sorry that we were together?” I whispered.
His whole face changed like an idea was slowly dawning on him. He cradled my cheek in his palm. “Leah, of course not.”
“You seem sorry,” I said, feeling small again. I’d thought I didn’t need his comfort. I’d thought I could comfort him. ......................
“Hey. I told you. Lately my brain isn’t working right. I feel one thing, but I act a different way and it surprises me. I don’t know where my words are coming from half the time. But you…” He kissed my cheek. “Gosh…” He kissed my lips, then backed away to look at me again. “You know what? Let me show you how I feel.”


sweet. I would want some Grayson Hall myself. It doesn't change how Leah felt at once of course. She still thinks so little of herself and she can't believe she's with the boy she has been crushing on for years. The good thing is Grayson respects her and looks like he actually have the same feelings as her.




View all my reviews
Share:

0 comments: